AMRAM CONDUCTS CONCERT OF RECONCILIATION IN LATVIA MAY 13 2006
David Amram has been invited to conduct the Leipaja Symphony in Leipaja Latvia, in a program honoring the contributions of the Jewish community prior to world War ll, and the memory of all who perished there.
The concert also celebrates the rebirth of the vital new community being formed in 2006, where descendents and the remaining survivors are returning to live.
DAVID AMRAM'S CONCERT OF RECONCILIATION IN LEIPAJA, LATVIAFEATURING THE WORKS OF JEWISH COMPOSERS
SATURDAY MAY 13TH
LEIPAJA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Yosif Feigelson - Cello solist
David Amram - Conductor
- Overture to Fingal's Cave. (12 minutes).............Mendelsohn
- Songs of the Soul (Shiray Neshuma) A symphony in three movements (30 minutes) . Amram
- Felasha (Ethiopian Passover chant)
- Niggun (Song without words) inspired by Central European traditional Cantorial singing
- Freilach (Dance of Joy) based on traditional Sephardic song stylings from Spain and Yemen and Klezmer stylings from the Baltic.
- Schelomo .........................................Bloch
Yosif Feigelson Cello soloist
- Westside Story Suite (10 minutes) ....................Leonard Bernstein/Mason
- Sinai Desert Song (10 minutes) ................traditional dance melody orchestrated by Amram
Based on traditional middle Eastern dance melody, with cellist Yosif Feigelson and Amram as soloists with the orchestra, with Amram playing the Shanai, Dumbek and Halil, (a traditional Israeli shepherd's flute).
A PERSONAL NOTE FROM DAVID AMRAM
It is an honor and a milestone in my life to be invited to conduct this historic concert in Leipaga, Latvia.
It is an event which honors the ideals that Beethoven expressed in the finale of his Ninth Symphony...that all men are brothers.
On behalf of a large number of brother and sister musicians, singers, dancers, composers, poets, actors, authors, visual artists and everyday working people, including my own three children, who all told me that they wished they could come on the plane with me to attend the concert and visit your beautiful city, I thank you for presenting this concert.
Music is the true path to love, respect and sharing among all people.
May 13th. 2006